|Click on Image to enlarge|
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Thursday, October 6, 2011
This is a reminder to book for the short course In dialogue with the tea bowl which starts on Wednesday the 12th October with the participation in a Japanese Tea Ceremony held at the Japanese School at 12 – 20 Caledon Road, Emmarentia. This is a rare opportunity to experience and learn about a beautiful part of Japanese tradition.
I have changed the second week’s class to Tuesday, 18th October to accommodate Clarissa Hawthorn, former lecturer in ceramic history at the University of South Africa who has kindly agreed give us a talk and Power Point presentation on the philosophy of wabi sabi before we embark on the making of the tea bowls.
IN DIALOGUE WITH THE TEA BOWL
The aim of this course is to investigate the tea bowl, its origin, tradition and function. It is run as two modules.
The roots of the tea bowl are explored by first participating in a Japanese Tea Ceremony followed by making traditional Japanese tea bowls which will be fired in a Raku process. The history of Raku will be illustrated and explained in a short PP presentation.
- October 12th – participation in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony performed at the Japanese School by a member of the Japanese Tea ceremony Association time 09.30 for 10.00-12.00
- October 18th –talk by Clarissa Hawthorn, former lecturer at University of Johannesburg in ceramic history on the philosophy of wabi sabi
- – making tea bowls using the wheel or pinching then carving the traditional way
- October 26th – Raku firing if work is ready otherwise Sat 29th October
firing will take up most likely some of the afternoon depending on number of participants
Cost: R 1000 inclusive all materials and firings
Morning sessions on 18th and 26/29th October from 9.30 to 12.30
at Elsbeth Burkhalter Studio, 45 Kingfisher Drive, Fourways
contact home telephone 011 467 2624 mobile 082 3301066 e mail – email@example.com
Sunday, October 2, 2011
Ultra-Furn Pottery Kiln with IPCO automatic controller in perfect working order
· 7 cubic feet
· Single phase 220v
· With the following: 8 shelves, 130 shelve stands, 3 tile stands holding 15 tiles each, 8 plate stands and other extras. Included in the above we will give you 3 large boxes of bisque ware with a variety of pots, plates, cups, vases, trays and many, many other items. Included: variety of glazes and colour paints.
PLEASE CONTACT: 083 631 2618